Friday 9 January 2009

No hair in my food

Gaucho the restaurant in Manchester on St Mary's Street is just sumptuous. From the moment you walk through the door the service is impeccable and I want everyone to know the steak is just to die for. Actually everything is to die for; the food, the cocktails, the ambience, even the level the lights are set to. My favourite cocktail involves Zubrowka vodka, which is my most loved vodka. The bar staff are most certainly trained to the nth degree because I myself have some bar training, which makes me painfully fussy about my drinks when I am paying for them. In this case I need not have worried, it was mixed to perfection, designed to tickle my tastebuds and left me wanting more.

The decor in each restaurant is bespoke and Eve Latham does an amazing job of making everyone feel like they have come to visit friends in Gaucho Manchester. She remembers names, something sadly lacking in the restaurant world in these impersonal times. It is totally female friendly, I felt comfortable having a working dinner in there on my own and they have free wi-fi, just ask any member of staff. In the evening it is a real treat for couples, friends or family and at lunchtimes certainly somewhere to take clients and colleagues for maximum impact or as a reward for hard work or a contract won.

Having been to the Richmond Upon Thames Gaucho on prior occasions I am familiar with the formula. The difference in Gaucho Manchester though, is what makes it so special. They manage to harbour that special brand of Northern charm. London's market is largely transient and as an ex-Londoner, with family and friends still down there, I can honestly say the general public in that demography don't celebrate or share success. Particularly in the current climate, everyone is divided by a 'who's next?' paranoia.

Whilst the North is not unaffected by what is going on in the financial downfall of our green jewel of an island, we have a very different attitude. Smile, get on with it, and if you are able, give someone just behind you a helping hand.

So whilst I appreciate that some belts are tightening and for many Gaucho is a rare treat, the inspiration and experience is worth every penny. You will leave feeling full and perhaps even a bit more positive about people and the future, both personally and in business. I am a person inspired by fantastic food, lovely wine and great service so yes I really do mean this and no I am not being paid to say it.

But don't take my word for it. I took Trevor Sorbie's words instead, who was dining there the same night as I was. Not only a charming, lovely man but he gave me a wonderful quote:

"I came here about one month ago for lunch. The waitress described the steaks and educated me as to what was available. This is unique to any restaurant I have ever been in and I had the best steak (medium rare) that comes up to 5 star restaurant value. I highly recommend it."

And that is straight from the King of the Crown!

1 comment:

  1. After reading that, I'm going to make it one of my many foodie life-missions to go to Goucho. Bloody marvellous x

    ReplyDelete